Device & Network User Agreement
Please print, read, sign and return the Thompson Public Schools Computer, Network and Personal Devices use Agreement.
We have made the text of the Thompson Public Schools Computer, Network and Personal Devices use Agreement available below for review.
THOMPSON PUBLIC SCHOOLS COMPUTER, NETWORK, AND PERSONAL DEVICES USE AGREEMENT
We are happy to provide access to the Internet to all of our students and staff. We believe that it offers our educational community valuable resources for learning and communicating with others. Internet access is provided in conjuncture with the Connecticut Education Network (CEN) and is filtered in accordance with the federal Child Internet Protection Act (CIPA), but recognizes the impossibility of controlling access to all materials available on the World Wide Web. TPS will make every effort to monitor and filter out objectionable materials, but cannot guarantee the blocking of ALL such sites.
Access to the computers and Internet is a privilege for students and not a right. The purpose of TPS computers, laptops, iPads, and Chromebooks is to provide seamless educational access to all students. Policy for technology use has been developed with the goal of maintaining the integrity and functionality of both network and equipment so that use is not disrupted by unnecessary equipment failure. A user account can be disabled at any time as required. Any student who violates TPS Acceptable Use regulations or rules for behavior in computer labs or open access locations will be denied use of those resources appropriate to the offense. Such denial may result in temporary or permanent cancelation of LAN/Internet access privileges, school disciplinary action, criminal prosecution or civil action.
In exchange for the privilege of using technology at school, we acknowledge and agree to each of the following:
- All students are responsible for appropriate behavior on the Internet just as they are when involved in any school activity. General school rules and policies apply to all Internet activity and communication.
- There is no expectation of personal privacy in the use of personal technology at school. The District’s network administrators have the ability to identify users and monitor all BYOD devices logged onto the network.
- The purpose of using the Internet at school is to support research and educational goals. Use of the Internet must always support those goals.
- School and personal devices shall be charged prior to bringing it to school and shall be capable of running off its own battery while at school. The technology department is not responsible for charging personal devices.
- Students must never:
- Reveal personal information about themselves or others such as addresses, phone numbers, passwords, etc.
- Send or display offensive messages or photos
- Use inappropriate language
- Use another person’s password or account
- Violate copyright law by copying or using unauthorized copies of programs
- Access other people’s folders, files or programs
- Use information without giving proper credit to the author
- Harass, insult, or attack other Internet users
- Use the Internet for commercial purposes
- Willfully destroy or vandalize other people’s work, computers, or computer programs and files
Use personal devices of any kind to photograph, video, or audio-record other students or staff, particularly as a means of harassmentData Encryption – When using web apps on a Chrome device, all important data is stored safely in the cloud. Certain kinds of files, like downloads, cookies, and browser cache files, may still be present on the computer. The Chrome device encrypts this data using tamper-resistant hardware, making it very difficult for anyone to access those files.I have read the DEVICE USE AGREEMENT and understand its contents. I understand that I will not be able to use the Internet until this form is signed and that my privilege will be taken away if I do not follow the above rules. I also understand that other school disciplinary actions may be taken if necessary.
My signature below and that of my parent(s) or guardian(s) means that I agree to follow all the guidelines and rules stated in Thompson’s DEVICE USE AGREEMENT.